Sunday, April 11, 2010

Looking to the Future

Well today was eventful! I was late to ward council because I wasn't sure whether or not we were having it because General Conference last been week. But when my brother Weston, who's now Executive Secretary, texted me and asked for some needle and thread when I got there, I hurry and got ready. I walked in basically at the end of the meeting, but Bishop Burrell said, "Oh we were just talking about you. We want you to be a ward organist." I laughed and said, "Ha, No!" thinking he was just joking. But then I realized he was serious! I told him I had never played the organ, but he said that I could just play it like a piano, and not use the foot pedals. I was instantly nervous but I agreed to try it. After our meeting, I went into the chapel and spent a couple minutes trying to figure out how to first of all turn on the organ. Luckily a very nice girl from another ward came over and helped me. She told me the settings she liked to use and then I gave it a whirl! It's kind of funny because although it's touchier than a piano, like I would barely set my hands down on the keys and the music would come bursting out, or it stops the instant I take my fingers off, it's also more forgiving than a piano. Since the notes blend together a lot more, you can't tell that you mess up as much. :) But let me tell you....That. was. scary!! You would think that I would get less nervous as the meeting went on, but I was more nervous to play the closing song than I was the opening! It was so hot in there, I swear it was 100*, yet I was the only one who was sweating! I apologized to anyone who could smell me because I swear I sweat so much it made me stink haha. Luckily no one told agreed that I stunk though.
But wow! Want an unexpected new adventure I get to have. I'm still FHE co-chair, but my bishop says that this will give me a lot of new experience for my mission. He says most places in the world don't get pianos and organs in church, just organs. So although I'm still very nervous, I'm excited to play.

And speaking of mission.....I spoke to my Stake President today, and he's submitting my papers to the Twelve this week!! I am sooo exciting. I was so thrilled to meet with him, it brought tears to my eyes. I'm so grateful to have such wonderful Priesthood leaders around me. Not only my Dad and my brothers, but my Bishop and Bishopric Counselors and THE greatest guys ever. And my Stake President is just amazing and sweet. At the end of our meeting he was so cute and said, "I just need a squeeze from you," gave me a great hug, and told me he was proud of me.

I love the Gospel. I'm excited to share it. President Nelson asked if I'd be disappointed if I were called to Boise. I was honest and told him I would be a little disappointed, but I know that wherever I get called is where the Lord needs me to be. Who knows where it will be, but for now.....we wait. :)

3 comments:

Calli said...

AMY That is soo exciting! I am so happy for you! You are such a wonderful person with such wonderful talents! You will be such a great tool in the hands of the Lord! I am so excited for you! (O: Oh Good luck girl in all you do!

Cheri said...

Amy! I'm so excited about the mission :) Keep us updated :) I would love to go on a mission....19 months.

aje said...

Amy, you never ceased to amaze me with your talents! Thank you for your wonderful example. And hey -- you played so well - I couldn't tell it was your first time!!!

I am so excited for you to get your mission call. We'll have to celebrate when it comes!